We are Winlock Press, an imprint of Permuted Press. We are currently looking for novels 70,000 – 80,000 words in length. If your book is the beginning of a series, so much the better.
Genres we are seeking at this time:
Worlds of War: The heroism, horror, and high-stakes action only seen in combat. We’re looking for Military Fiction, set in the present, the future, or even the past, including post-apocalyptic stories, alternative history, and current-world action and espionage. Novels up to 80,000 words. We’re also interest in non-traditional Military Non-Fiction that could include military memoirs or adventures, stories placed in the CIA or covert operations world, even contemporary urban warfare or action (e.g., LEO/EMT). In fiction and non-fiction alike, the emphasis is on action, weaponry, realism and violent confrontation.
Romantic Action & Adventure: Strong men, strong women in exciting stories that spark passion as well as courage and cowardice. Think Romancing the Stone, Moonlighting, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Vertigo, Out of Sight, One for the Money. Equal parts adventure and attraction. No erotica will be accepted.
Formatting Your Novel
Follow APA formatting using a Microsoft Word file, single spaced, 1” margins all around, body text Time New Roman 12 pt. Use italics rather than underlining; limit other typographical variations to bold and Small Caps. Always insert page breaks between chapters.
Submitting Your Novel
Always begin your submission of a short description of your story, no longer than 300 words. Use this opportunity to not only summarize your book, but to compel someone who is browsing to make a purchase.
Include a short (no more than 300 words) biographical sketch as well, with the emphasis on any personal or professional background that makes you and your work especially attractive as an ongoing author. Include any information that a reader or media outlet may find useful when browsing or conducting an interview. Remember to list any accolades or awards as well. Mention any current activity or accomplishments on social media? Do you have a blog or a newsletter? If so, how many followers/subscribers do you have? Do you regularly appear at special events, shows, or panels? Please include anything that elevates your visibility to potential readers.
To submit your novel, please attach it to an email entitled “Winlock Press Submission” and send it to: email@example.com. In the body of your email, include the following:
- A short description of your book, no longer than 400 characters including spaces and punctuation. Use this opportunity to not only summarize your book, but to compel someone who is browsing to make a purchase.
- Back Cover Text (Basic Description): If someone picked up your book after being enticed by the cover, and they flipped the book over to read the back to see what it was about, what would that text say? This basic description shouldn’t give away any spoilers but should give enough information to interest the person browsing to buy the book. Within this description, you can also include “blurbs” such as short endorsements from other authors if you like.
- One-Line description of your book: Sum up the scope and theme succinctly and enticingly. This is often referred to as your elevator pitch, sales handle, or promotional headline. It’s how you describe your book in ten words or less.
- Short Author Biography no longer than 2000 characters including spaces and punctuation: Include any information that a reader or media outlet may find useful when browsing or conducting an interview. Remember to list any accolades or awards as well.
- Awards: Any accolades or awards you received for your writing.
- Platform: Are you active on social media? Do you have a blog or a newsletter? If so, how many followers/subscribers do you have? Do you regularly appear at special events, shows, or panels? Please include anything that elevates your visibility to potential readers.
You should receive a confirmation email shortly after submitting your novel. Because we do our best to give every submission a fair evaluation, it is not uncommon for several months to pass before we are able to review your book and respond to you. Don’t be discouraged! If you ever need to reach us in regard to a submission you’ve made, you may send an email to Monique@WinlockPress.com.